Campus Life

Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

  • Updated on March 1, 2016


If a student faces a problem finding a guarantor, the chief of International Student Exchange Division will serve as an institutional guarantor, provided that the student meets the following two requirements.

1. To enroll in Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan.

The student mustenroll in Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying inJapan.

How to apply:

Contact to International Exchange Division or theperson in charge of international students in your faculty and give your nameand period of indemnity to enroll in (for one/ two years). Pay the insurancefee with the bill at the convenience store.

* Period ofindemnity and insurance fee: One year 4,000 yen or Two years 8,000 yen (If youwould like to extend the aforementioned period of indemnity after it ends forsix month, you can extend it for 2,000 yen.)

* The contractwill be discharged when overdue. The student should make sure to renew his/hercontract before the expiration date. The contract will also be discharged afterthe student’s graduation or dropout.

* For moreinformation concerning Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign StudentsStudying in Japan, please visit the website of Japan Educational Exchanges andServices.

2. To add special agreement in the rental contract the student should ask his/her real estate agent to add the following covenant in the lease agreement.

  • TheJoint Guarantor shall take all responsibilities based on the accompanyingrental agreement for the enrolled period of the foreign student who is thelessee named in the rental agreement and who also belongs to Kobe University,and who has a study visa.
  • TheJoint Guarantor shall serve notice to the Lessor when the above-mentionedstatus of the foreign student is no longer valid. With such notice havingreached the Lessor, all responsibilities of the Joint Guarantor shall have nofurther responsibilities.

Upon meeting the above two requirements, the student should submit the applicationform, receipt of his/her insurance fee and the contract containing the abovecovenant to the International Student Exchange Division. The process usuallytakes several days.

Application form (PDF)