Degree Awarding Policy of the Graduate School of Law
- Updated on March 1, 2016
In keeping with its liberal and cosmopolitan tradition, the Department of Legal Studies and the Department of Political Science at Kobe University, Graduate School of Law endeavor to provide students with the forefront of academic knowledge in the areas of law, political science, international relations, and political and diplomatic history through its systematic and in-depth curriculum. In so doing, these departments intend to develop future scholars in the aforementioned fields, while also fostering a culture in which professionals trained in the departments will possess complex problem solving skills necessary to maintain a competitive edge in the our present society that is increasingly becoming more sophisticated. Moreover, the departments will also strive to provide continuing education to those with work experience and current legal professionals who face new challenges on a daily basis in this rapidly changing society.
To achieve these objectives, the departments will ensure that students are given training that meets the highest global standards, so that they can pursue their research with a sense of pride and confidence. Degrees are conferred upon successful completion of the program with the following policies being established by each program.
- [Master's Program]
- Students will enroll in the Master's program for a specified period of time, obtain the required credits for completion, and pass the examinations required by the Graduate School.
- Students are encouraged to achieve the following learning goals through the completion of the program:
- Academic Program
- To acquire the basic skills required for those engaged in research and education in various areas of academic knowledge in the areas of law, political science, international relations, and political and diplomatic history at universities and other research and educational institutions domestically and abroad.
- Recurrent Program for Those with Working Experience
- To acquire and apply the practical skills and knowledge in order resolve new legal and political problems emerging from the changes in contemporary society.
- Advanced Studies Program
- To acquire a much higher level of understanding in the field of law, political science, international relations, and political and diplomatic history than in the undergraduate programs, and further strengthen problem-solving skills.
- Legal Recurrent Program for Practicing Lawyers
- To acquire the skills and expertise required for practicing lawyers who can play a proactive role in highly specialized and cutting-edge legal areas.
- [Doctoral Program]
- Students will enroll in the Doctoral Program of the Graduate School of Law for a specified period of time, obtain the required credits for completion, and pass the examinations required by the Graduate School.
- Students are encouraged to achieve the following learning goals by the completion of the program:
- Academic Program
- To pursue further research in the respective fields of specialty to acquire a higher level of skills necessary for those engaged in research and education in various areas of law, political science, international relations, and political and diplomatic history.
- Advanced Professional Expert Program
- To acquire advanced problem-solving skills in which various legal and political problems can be resolved in this increasingly sophisticated and diversified contemporary society.
Professional Degree Program
In its open and cosmopolitan culture, the Department of Professional Legal Education, Graduate School of Law, Kobe University aims to develop knowledgeable and skillful lawyers for the future thorough providing students with carefully systematized curriculum for advanced legal expertise.
In accomplishing the above objective that students acquire highly specialized expertise and knowledge in law, the Department provides internationally competitive education based on cutting-edge researches, and awards the degree in accordance with the following policy:
- Students must satisfy the required period of attendance at the Graduate Program for Professional Degree as well as the required number of credits for the completion of the program.
- Students must accomplish the following study goals necessary for prospective lawyers:
- To attain the high ethical standards required for legal profession and to obtain abundant practical skills, in addition to basic knowledge necessary for working in the profession;.
- To possess profound knowledge and abundant practical skills in standard legal areas, and, optionally, to possess knowledge and skills in cutting-edge areas of business law; as well as to acquire abilities to resolve new problems based on the critical and creative understanding of conventional legal thoughts; and
- To possess problem-solving abilities respecting social plurality in view of the realty of diverse thoughts and cultures in our society.