Admission Policy of the Faculty of Oceanology
- Updated on April 1, 2021
The Faculty of Oceanology provides a foundation for developing global leaders/maritime experts who can make contributions towards sustainability in marine exploration and the utilization of marine resources, the preservation of the marine environment, and unlocking future potential of the maritime industry. Other focal points for our global leaders and maritime experts are the scientific exploration of ocean evolution, strengthening the stability of maritime legal order, international cooperation, and comprehensive management related the sea while fostering internationalism and a cooperative outlook. In the Faculty of Oceanology, emphasis is placed on creativity with expertise in related maritime sciences, technology, and marine governance, and our curriculum is based on comprehensive education in oceanology. Therefore, our faculty seeks students who understand these educational and research philosophy aims, and will make sincere efforts to contribute towards prospective maritime alliances.
● Applicants are sought with the following qualities and abilities:
- Students who are interested in maritime sciences, technology, and marine governance, and also who are motivated to contribute towards prospective maritime alliances.
[Required competences: interest and motivation]
- Students who make a conscious effort to study and demonstrate their initiative and desire to cooperate in contributing towards the stability of legal order related the sea, marine exploration/utilization, and maritime alliances.
[Required competences: initiative and cooperativeness]
- Students who make a conscious effort to find and resolve problems based on their knowledge of natural science, social science, and technology in the marine field.
[Required competences: critical thinking, good judgement and expression]
- Students who make a conscious effort to acquire language and communication skills in English, as well as the comprehensive education necessary to become experts in oceanology.
[Required competences: knowledge and technique]
*Applicants should have acquired the following abilities in high school, etc.:
・Japanese Language: The ability to read sentences and express themselves clearly.
・Geography and History/Civics: Wide-ranging and comprehensive knowledge, and the analytical ability to understand various social phenomena.
・Mathematics: Mathematical thinking ability, expressiveness, and comprehensiveness.
・Science: Comprehensive understanding of natural science, and logical thinking ability.
・Foreign Language: Reading comprehension, communication skills, and expressiveness.
●Basic Policy for the Selection of Students:
To select students in line with Faculty of Oceanology’s Diploma and Curriculum Policies, the faculty assesses each applicant’s competence comprehensively in the following entrance examinations:
・The General entrance examination assesses knowledge and technique; and critical thinking, good judgement and expression.
・The “Kokorozashi” special entrance examination assesses those who have a strong desire to acquire knowledge and technique; critical thinking, good judgement and expression; initiative and cooperativeness; and interest and motivation.
・The Special entrance examination for privately funded international students assesses knowledge and technique; critical thinking, good judgement and expression; initiative and cooperativeness; and interest and motivation.