In order to enter Degree programs, students have to take and pass the entrance examinations and an interview conducted by Kobe University. Following are the general information on eligibility, selection method, and admission information for each Graduate School.


Applicants must be foreign nationals who do not hold Japanese nationality and have successfully completed 16 years of school education or the equivalent. Those who are expected to graduate by March 31 of the year they are entering are also eligible.

  • For detailed information on each Graduate School’s eligibility requirements, please refer to each School’s website.

Selection Method

Students are selected by academic records and the result of the paper based and oral examinations conducted by each Graduate School. The types of examinations vary according to each Graduate School.

  • Many international students choose to enter Kobe University as a Research Student non-degree seeking student conduct research while improving their Japanese language ability for about 1 year, and then move on to a degree-seeking program after passing the entrance examination.

How to Apply

1. Find your future supervisor

Graduate Schools either do or do not require students Graduate School, but it is always better to decide the faculty member by whom you wish to be supervised, considering your own research topic. Check the information about the faculty members at Master’s Programs and Doctoral Programs and contact the faculty member directly.

How to find the future academic supervisor?

2. Obtain Application Information and Application Forms

When to request

Application information is usually available on the Graduate School website and also on the website of Japan Study Support. However in order to apply, applicants have to obtain the original application forms. Each
Graduate School distributes application forms at certain period usually once a year or twice a year.

Where and How to request

Applicants can obtain application forms either by visiting the office of each Graduate School directly or requesting by post. When requesting by post, be sure to enclose a return envelop with the necessary stamp attached to the Student Affairs Section of respective Graduate School.

  • The return envelop should be a size that can enclose an A4-size Legal size without
    folding the forms.
  • Please attach the necessary amount of stamp to the return envelop.
  • For detailed information, please check the website of the relevant Graduate School.

3. Apply

When to apply

Each Graduate School has certain application period usually once a year or twice a year.

Where and how to apply

Send the Student Affairs Section of respective Graduate School the necessary application materials by post. Must reach by the deadline, late arrival would not be considered for admission.

  • Students who have different educational background than that of shown on page 59 need to be pre-assessed before application. Please inquire Student Affairs Section of respective Graduate School for detailed information.

4. Take the Examination

Each Graduate School has its own examination schedule. All examinations are conducted at Kobe University. Applicants should make arrangement to come to Kobe at this time.

5. Acceptance

How to Find Out the Result

In early March, applicants will receive an admission notice and other information by post if they passed the examination. Applicants who failed the examination will not receive the notice.
If accepted, applicants must make the payment of admission fee by bank transfer, and submit the necessary documents.

6. Prepare for Coming to Japan

Prepare Passport and Visa (when applicants reside overseas)

In order to enter Japan, international students must have a passport and a “College Student Visa”. Please refer to “Procedure for Entering Japan” for details on how to apply for the visa.

Secure Accommodation

There are University housings and other accommodation that students can apply for
through the university, but these rooms are limited. Please use the “Kobe University Student Apartment Search System” to look for private apartment. This system has been established with Nasic National Student Information Center for Kobe University international students. Students can also use this search system to reserve an apartment from overseas. It is available in 4 languages (Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean) and will also support students with lease agreement. For more information please refer to “Housing information”.

Students can also search apartment through Kobe University Co-op Service Center after arrival in Kobe.

Reserve an airplane ticket and purchase a traveler’s insurance. (Recommended but
optional) (when applicants resides overseas)

7. After Arriving in Japan

Come to Kobe University during the designated period to complete the necessary entrance procedures.

Participate in New Student Orientation

Classes begin

Make payment of Tuition fees

For more information